The city of Dumas is located in Moore County, around 45 miles north of Amarillo. Named after its founder, Louis Dumas, Dumas serves as Moore County’s county seat. Based on the latest population estimates, Dumas is currently home to approximately 14,900 residents.
A small city that only covers a total area of roughly 5.50 square miles, Dumas is known among those on the road as a stopover to and from destinations such as Denver, Dallas, and Amarillo. Because of this, Dumas has established itself as some kind of a resort town, home to a number of accommodations for all sorts of travelers. The city’s main road, Dumas Avenue, is part of the country’s national highway system.
Another fascinating tidbit about Dumas is that it allegedly inspired the creation of the song “I’m a Ding Dong Daddy from Dumas,” written by Phil Baxter and Carl Moore in the 1920s. Whether or not it is the truth, one thing can be said about Dumas: it’s a tight-knit and friendly community with a lot of heart and plenty of hospitality to offer.
The city is served by Dumas Independent School District (DISD).
Dumas Moore Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center
Dumas Independent School District
Moore County Hospital District
Dumas Economic Development Corporation
City of Dumas
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) Program of the Dumas Board of REALTORS®. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. All Information Is Deemed Reliable But Is Not Guaranteed Accurate.
Dumas, TX Real Estate and Homes for sale in Dumas, TX
Dumas is more than just a stopover for weary travelers. Since Amarillo is less than an hour away, Dumas has also established itself as a bedroom community. Over the years, the city has attracted a steady stream of home buyers, renters, and real estate investors. Dumas’ proximity to Amarillo isn’t the only reason, for the city is home to a plethora of real estate offerings for different lifestyles and price points.
Dumas real estate is mainly composed of single-family homes, with American Ranch as a popular architectural style throughout the community. These homes are usually built on large lots, allowing for plenty of space for home upgrades and outdoor living. Homes for sale in Dumas are affordable and offer great value for the money.
Land and farm properties are also quite common in Dumas, perfect for investors who are looking for the perfect plot of land for their dream home and other real estate goals.
Attractions and things to do in Dumas, TX
- Window on the Plains Museum – Learn more about the history of Dumas and Moore County at Window on the Plains Museum, located along Dumas Avenue. The facility is also home to various exhibits that show the daily life and the agricultural roots in the Texas Panhandle between the 19th and 20th century.Window on the Plains Museum is also home to Crabb Art Center, where visitors will find a large collection of artworks by local artists. Exhibits are changed every month.
- Cactus Playa Lake – A bird refuge in the Panhandle Plains, Cactus Playa Lake is often visited by a variety of bird species, including shorebirds, waterfowl, falcons, and even bald eagles. More importantly, the Cactus Playa Lake is also a part of the Panhandle Plains Wildlife Trail. This makes the spot a must-visit for any wildlife enthusiast and avid bird watcher.
- Pheasant Trails Golf Course – Pheasant Trails is home to an 18-hole golf course that blends Scottish and West Texas golf course design. The golf course was opened to the public in 1951 and is widely considered as one of the best golf facilities in the area. Many local tournaments open to the public are held throughout the year.
- Dumas Aquatic Center – One of the best places to cool off in Dumas, the local aquatic center in McDade Park is open for recreational use, as well as special events. It is open daily, from 1:00 PM to 5:30 PM. Children under 3 and adults over 60 can enter free of charge.
- Evelyn Theater – A Dumas institution, the Evelyn Theater has been the go-to entertainment facility in the city for approximately 70 years. Evelyn Theater, now a digital cinema, is located in Downtown Dumas.
- Parks and recreation – Dumas is home to acres of green spaces spread throughout the city, such as Texhoma Park, Phillips Park, and McDade Park. The largest park in Dumas, McDade Park is home to the Dumas Aquatic Center, the local Veterans Memorial Wall, a half-mile walking, and running trail, covered pavilions and barbecue grills, a volleyball court, a skateboard park, and a children’s playground.
- Special events – Dumas plays host to a number of special events throughout the year. This includes the annual Dogie Day, organized by the Dumas Noon Lions Club. The city calendar is also marked with other locally sponsored events such as various arts and craft fairs, car shows, chili cook-offs, and rodeos organized by the local rodeo association.
Learn more about Dumas, TX with the Real Estate Gals! Get in touch with us today at 806-930-8888 (Cheryl Clark) or 806-884-8769 (Jayme Clark).